(Approved 3 September 2019)
Social media is now part of our daily lives. These new communication tools include but are not limited to Facebook, Twitter, MySpace, LinkedIn, Foursquare, Instagram, TikTok, WeChat and more. These new communication vehicles are excellent information outlets that provide another opportunity to promote synchronized / artistic swimming and our amazing athletes to a wider audience.
However, by its very nature, social media has an impact and is a reference point for information at all levels. The open concept of social media can easily put a member or an organization at risk due to a lack of judgement. This can include an inappropriate reaction in an emotional situation, a lack of information on the potential impact of new media and more.
PWS has adopted the following guidelines from Canadian Artistic Swimming in order to assure social media is used with good judgement that proudly represents our club’s policies and values. Members wishing to communicate via social media about PWS activities should assure their messages respect the club’s values and expectations of members.
PWS values freedom of expression in social media as long as the issues respect:
- healthy lifestyles (NOT alcohol and drug use).
- fair play (NOT unveiling privileged information on routines other than your own).
- respect towards institutions and other members (NOT sharing personal information).
- security (NOT making direct or intended threats).
- Keep their posts positive and not engage in bullying or negative or critical conversations online.
- the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedom (NOT making racist or sexual statements).
- sexual equality (promoting equal participation for men and women).
- intellectual property (NOT making logo or name alterations)
The decision to publish on social media can be simply summarized: WHEN IN DOUBT, LEAVE IT OUT!